Frequently asked questions
How do I apply to join?
Simply download the form on the Join us page. Decide if you are interested in joining as an artist, (whether you are a painter or an applied artist); a student member or a lay person. If you join as an artist you must submit work at our new artist intake in September. If you are elected to the society a joining fee will be due. Do not send any money with the form.
What benefits are there to joining?
- Opportunity to show your work at our yearly exhibition at the Lillie Gallery in Milngavie.
- Other exhibiting opportunities during the year
- News updates
- Talks and demonstrations
- An annual dinner
- Contact with a like-minded community of artists and people who love art
- A dedicated page on GSWA website, which if you wish, be linked to your email and website.
- Spotlight where guest artists and designers curate our online exhibition.
- A dedicated page in the hard-copy Directory of Artist Members, which is available to the public at all our exhibitions.
We pride ourselves on being a genuinely supportive group of artists.
Who is eligible?
All women may join as artists or lay people. Men may not join but are welcome as guests to all our exhibiting and social events.. Why offer an art club for women? We are a mutual support network: we notice that women network in a different way from men and we seek to cater for their needs. We don't seek to keep men out but we seek to provide encouragement and fellowship to each other as women, and artists.
Can I sell work?
Our yearly exhibition at the Lillie Gallery in Milngavie offers a chance to sell your work. In addition we have other exhibiting events during the year.
Can I cancel membership?
Membership is for a year. Once paid it cannot be cancelled: however, if you do not renew your membership then it will be deemed to be cancelled 3 months after the due date.
Are men allowed to come along?
We are delighted to welcome men to our social and exhibition events. They cannot become members but but in all other respects play a part in the life of our club.