Originally established in 1882 by eight of the first women students at the Glasgow School of Art, the GLASGOW SOCIETY OF LADY ARTISTS flourished until 1971 when sadly it was disbanded due to financial pressures. However it was revived in 1975 as the GLASGOW SOCIETY OF WOMEN ARTISTS and currently enjoys a membership of around 164 artists and 48 lay members.
Exhibitions form an important part of the yearly programme and are held annually in and around Glasgow. These show the high standard of GSWA members’ work in painting, sculpture, ceramics, textile art and jewellery – outstanding work is recognised by nine Awards that are adjudicated by external professionals and usually made every second year when the main Exhibition is held at the Lillie Art Gallery in Milngavie. Three of these have been independently gifted, one is funded by the Society and four have been made possible by legacies from past members. Further information is given in the Exhibition Catalogues .
|There is one new artist intake every year in September|
Other Society events during the year are an annual dinner, a spring outing and informal monthly afternoon sessions which include talks and practical demonstrations, all providing members with opportunities for relaxed discussion.